Southwestern University Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. (SWU-MHAM CM, Inc.) was established as Southwestern Colleges in the summer of 1946, when the entire country was in the process of rehabilitation from the destruction of World War II. The Founders were Don Matias Hipolito Aznar II and his wife Doña Anunciacion Barcenilla Aznar, who were pharmacists by profession. Their vision was to establish a school of medicine that is within the reach of the common people.
In the school year 1946-1947, the Doctor of Medicine Program was opened with fourteen pioneering students and six faculty members. Full government recognition of the Doctor of Medicine Program was granted by the Department of Education in 1952. The enactment of the Medical Act of 1965 by the Philippine Congress required all medical colleges in the country to be converted into a non-profit educational institution. Thus, the Doctor of Medicine Program of the Southwestern University was converted and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in May 26, 1970, under the corporate name Southwestern University- Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine Inc. (SWU-MHAM CM, Inc.) and was given a unique institutional identifier number 7071 by the Commission of Higher Education (CHED). The Medical College is so named to honor and perpetuate the memory of its late founder, Don Matias Hipolito Aznar II.
Today, MHAM College of Medicine, Inc. pursues the values of professionalism, integrity, excellence and social responsibility and strive to inculcate these values into its academic and administrative employees. This is in line with the vision of the founder which is upheld and advanced by his successor, MRS. ELMA AZNAR-SIERRA, his youngest daughter and the current President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
Realizing our institutions’ three pronged thrusts of instruction, research and community extension/outreach, MHAM has fostered excellence in medical education through its curriculum, research, community service and development. Its strength lies in keeping a roster of dedicated faculty who are experts in their field of specialization and professional health education. Because of this, since its inception and until today, we are proud to say, the Doctor of Medicine Program has produced many board topnotchers and physicians who are experts in their different field of specialty and who had gained distinction in the field of medicine not only in our country but also all over the globe.
Beaming with pride in keeping its legacy to produce competent mavens of the field, MHAM has produced five board placers among the ten highest places in the Physician Licensure Examinations for four years in a row since it started to operate in its new location at the Redemptorist Plaza, Camputhaw, Cebu City, a grand slam that made Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine Inc. (formerly Southwestern University-Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc.) continued to soar high along its growing years in size and stature.
Rich in history and a legacy to behold, MHAM is not just a name, but a place characterized by a sense of promise, a sense of pride, a sense of purpose, and a sense of commitment that makes MHAM today.